Monday, July 27, 2009

Calorie Counters are Annoying

I didn't make it to the gym today due to not falling asleep until 7 this morning. This insomnia is for the birds. I did, however, keep track of the nutritional information for everything I ate today. And it was a HUGE pain in the ass. If anyone knows of a good calorie counter on the interwebs, let me know.I also started an experiment in cooking that comes from the folks at myrecipes.com. They give you a grocery list with fewer than 30 items and then you have the goods to make 5 low fat, low calorie, healthy dnners. So far they have twelve weeks of dinners. I am starting at week one.
Tonight I made Teriyaki turkey burgers (flavored with a homemade cajun spice mix, garlic powder, black pepper and Trader Joes Soyaki sauce.) They included some awesome sauted onions that carmelized using only cooking spray. Surprisingly delicious. I also made my new favorite side dish, Archer Farms Butternut Squash Risotto (only 5 grams of fat for half a package) and some broccoli sauted in a little chicken broth and flavored with garlic, Siracha and a
little of the Soyaki.
If all the recipes are this easy and delicious this should prove to be a good tool for fattening up my recipe book while hopefully slimming down my ass.
Also found this beauty:

3 comments:

  1. Calorie counting and I go way back. I used to use Sparkpeople, free online. I used to use Weight Watchers online, not free, but it worked. Then I read "French Women Don't Get Fat", free from the local library and so awesome and healthy and inspiring, and after that I used a pretty notebook and just wrote down what I ate with the calorie count. I didn't worry about fat or carbs, b/c what really matters is calories in and calories out. NOW I am using "loseit" on my iphone. It is most glorious.

    Counting sucks, and I do it for a while then stop, do it for a while in stop. But it's the only way I have ever really lost weight.

    Keep the faith my friend. We'll be lazing around the beach in bikinis in no time. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love the lose it app but Jeff has absconded with my iTouch and I use a Blackberry Storm which does not have the app (or any other damn thing truth be told). Last night I stared playing around with The Daily Plate and it is much much much easier to use than any of the others. I like the simplicity of the notebook but I am already looking up nutrition info on the interwebs so using a internet service seems like a good idea. Calculating for recipes is a little difficult still, though. I actually think some of the ancillary nutrition info is good for me as we work toward pregnancy as I have never really thought about how much sodium I intake (a ton, apparently) or if I am getting enough calcium. I'm now taking calcium and folic acid supplements in addition to my daily vitamin and I am actively pursuing calcium for the first time in years.)
    Bikinis, not for me thanks, but a reasonable goal over time and raised awareness of and aspiration toward a healthy diet for the rest of my life is what I want. Though it IS annoying when the Bagel loses weight so easily and I really have to work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is annoying isn't it? I've lost 2 pounds already this week. ANNOYING!!

    ReplyDelete