Thursday, October 1, 2009

“So You Want A Social Life, With Friends,”

Some of you know that I am a great advocate for and defender of modern poetry.Below is an example of why.
It comes from the poet Kenneth Koch a modern American poet who embraced the exuberance of (some) post modernists while refusing to mire his work in ridiculous navel-gaze-y self-aggrandizing experimentation. It is, however, lovely and melancholy and brilliantly observant of human behavior. I truly love the plethora of poetry on YouTube,everyone should take the time to check a few out.

This, by the way, is a portrait of Koch by the wonderful artist Alex Katz.

5 comments:

  1. Poem = good. Clever in a dorothy parkery way.

    kinetic type = bad font choice + totally derivative style.

    c.f. MK12 in 2002: still astonishingly good, widely imitated since.

    http://www.mk12.com/video-popup.html?video=/v5_quicktime/2003/brazil.mov&title=BRAZIL%20INSPIRED%3A%20MACHO%20BOX&date=&info=2003&type=inhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose this poem video not for the brilliance of the aesthetics but because it's a good example of how, for lack of a better phrase, it brings the words to life, and, I think, makes poetry accessible. Poetry is natural and easy for peeps like me and you, but the vast majority of people walking around think poetry sucks or is pointless or inscrutable, or just coffee-shop garbage.
    Also, I agree with you about the font choice, but you are a typography nerd and it will bother you and seem hackier to you than my average reader.
    I liked the Macho box, but I have issues with the color choice (confusing) and the speed (too fast, but I also wasn't wearing my glasses).
    If you come across any more examples, send 'em my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video, bagel. Have I shown you the Billy Collins videos on Youtube? Those are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda.
    Seriously.
    It is time.
    Write something.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I choose work and love and struggle with the friends. I'm glad we've reconnected:)

    ReplyDelete