Monday, November 23, 2009

MIA

That is, I will be until finals are over I'm guessing.
I miss you!
Tonight I watched some classmates give a presentation on advertising and they had four commercials from YouTube as examples. 3 of the 4 commercials used traditional gender scripts and assumption about the internalization of those scripts. What's scary about commercials is that we see them OVER and OVER and when they use humor we pay attention to them even more, but fail to notice the other, subtler messages they send, like all women should be thin and work out constantly, or all men should be in charge of the grill--because that's the man's domain. Send me your favorite commercials, I want to keep thinking about this stuff. In the meantime, here is something to think about UNTIL I RETURN....(cue scary laughter)



Notice how Nigeria is supposed to be a scary and dirty place? Notice how it's contrasted to the clean, safe white world?
Notice how this commercial only works if that stereotype is internalized?

Send me your links!

UPDATE:
Here are some of the videos friends sent.






Keep sending them in!

1 comment:

  1. The Guinness commercial is just....I don't have words for how awful it is, it reminds me of some of the research I am doing concerning the treatment of women in outlaw motorcycle gangs: they are just sex objects to be used and passed around. To initiate a new member, he must bring a "sheep" with him ( a female) that is to be passed around as they "run a train on that ass". The men watch each other rape the woman and share this "brotherhood". I don't understand it. I am also reading "Self-Made Man" by Norah Vincent, in which she goes undercover as a man into strip clubs... her perspective is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete