Friday, August 14, 2009

There is no self-created replacement for being genuinely loved.

I've been thinking a lot about living in a fantasy world lately, both as thought experiment and while watching some people in my life trudge through ones of their own making.
This, in turn, got me to thinking about how much I want to see Where the Wild Things Are. That book teaches us that the fantasy worlds we create to escape the problems of our lives can't hold a candle to the genuine article, and in the end, it's best to accept our messy, problem filled lives and return to reality, where one can hope to find hot supper waiting for us.
These worlds, however, still live inside all of us, and we remain the kings of our own self-designed kingdoms, that's the beauty part.
I hope I get to watch this with my own kid someday, after having read the book a million times.
This is the new trailer, and man, it makes me cry like crazy.

2 comments:

  1. I am so psyched for this. And the Fantastic Mr Fox via Wes Anderson. I only hope Michel Gondry does his take on say The Phantom Tollbooth or Le Petit Prince to continue the trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm with you 100%. I haven't seen the phantom tollbooth in AGES, that would be a dream project. Which reminds me you ought to read this www.avclub.com/articles/dream-collaborations,31690/ I posted about FMF earlier last week and it makes such great use of Anderson's style while exploring new territory for stop animation.

    ReplyDelete